Thursday, October 8, 2009

Just a Little Sumthin Sumthin...


So this is just a preview of something I started working on earlier this week. Actually it's part of a larger project I've been working on for a few weeks now.

Long story short: The Boyfriend and I cannot agree upon a bedspread/cover that we both like. The ones I like are either too plain or in colors he feels are too girly, example: teal. While his choices tend to be a bit to boyish or with scratchy fabric, example: forest green and burgundy, yuck!

So a few weeks back I decided to make us a quilt. That way I could pick the colors I like and include some sort of a pattern that would please him as he doesn't like the ol' plain stuff that I do. LOL!!

Anyway, being the art-eest girl that I am I started sewing together a bunch of scrap fabric that my Quilting Mama had in her stash. She does share sometimes :) I gathered up the fabrics and separated them into piles by color: creams, reds, browns, greens, and blacks. I then started piecing everything together willy-nilly, because as I've been told by both my mother and crafty younger sister, I can never follow the rules. This is of course followed by the ever present eye roll because apparently in their books being an artist is the same thing as a rule breaker.

LOL!! Whatever!

So in addition to all the scrappy goodness going on, I decided I wanted to make a few special additions to our quilt. Personalize it a bit. So that's where this little guy comes in..he'll be sewn into the blanket surrounded by all those scrappy fabrics.

More pictures to come...followed by a finished quilt! Woot!

7 comments:

BlankDaze said...

kell~
i love this!! soo cute. i read on liz's blog about your quilt. i can't wait to see the finished product! can i put in order for mine now? LOL

Rose Hudson said...

such a sweet design kelley! I get the same problem with my bf, I just buy the ones i want though haha!

busylizzy said...

I want to file a formal complaint about being 'mom bashed' on this blog. lol j/k
It's not that you don't follow the rules. You do. You go to work everyday and drive on the right side of the road (two examples). It's that left-creative-brain-thing that we don't get. You can tell by our stick figure drawings. LOL
And with that being said, let me tell you that I LOVE your stitchery!! (even though you call it needlpoint) hehe
Love, Mom

Conni said...

Beautiful embroidery!! When are the patterns going to be available for purchase????!!! You are extremely talented!

ojaiquilter said...

Kelley, as usual you did a great job. That saying is too cute. The last time I was at Blake and Ashley's we were talking about that she wanted that for her wall in the bedroom. And wahlah, you creat an emboidery for it!!! I showed it to her and she loves it too!

Kelley said...

Brenda, LOL, thank you but you have already met your quilt quota.

Rose, that is precisely why I started this fun project, if I had bought something I knew he might complain since our tastes are so different, but if I made it I know he'll love it, hee hee.

Mother, I will from here on out call it stichery or embroidery no more needlepoint. I cannot however confirm the halting of "mom bashing"

Conni, thank you so much and as soon as I can redesign this one I will let you know when they go on sale. I have to keep this a one and only type thing for just me, I think :)

And Auntie Isabel, what can I say? Great minds must think alike, eh?

ELLA ELVIANA said...

oh, such a sweet design. i would want one if i could!