Monday, October 6, 2008

Side Projects

I thought I would designate a post this time around to a little side project I've been working on. It's something I've had a lot of fun doing and hope to do more of. Storyboarding. Let me give a little background about how I got started with this.

My boyfriend happens to be ridiculously good at rhyming. Weird sort of talent, but quite entertaining, none the less. I'm not sure where he got it from, whether it's an acquired skill or just natural talent, but it never ceases to amaze me, the ease with which he can create goofy slogans or funky little songs off the top of his head. Sometimes I look at him and think, this man is truly gifted, I have never known anybody to be able to create things like that on a whim. Other times, he'll drive me crazy with the constant singing of said goofy songs, specifically when he's at his computer perusing the gamer sites and I'm trying to work on my latest and greatest idea, it's in those moments when I'm trying to concentrate that I realize, he really does take advantage of such an "e-ville" gift. But his timing is always impeccable, it's always the moment just before I'm ready to snap and turn into the bratty girlfriend that he whips out another funny one liner, and honestly, how can you do anything else but laugh?

So it's because of this unnatural talent, that I've put him to work on a children's book I've had "in the works" for over a year now. The pictures have all been roughed out, but I am not really a writer and needed loads of help getting a script together. So we made a deal. He would write me a story and in exchange, he put my skills as an ar-teest to good use on a side project of his.

[Side note: In addition to writing short stories (and goofy little ditties) he's really involved in 3D modeling and video games. I don't know how he does it, but he has a way of creating these amazingly detailed stories or situations. The man has so many concepts and ideas floating around in his head, that I constantly find myself envious of his imagination.]

Anyway.....he asked me to help create concept sketches and storyboards for an animated short he wants to create for Halloween. It's a really cute concept, so I jumped at the chance. I won't tell you the full story, let's see if you can figure it out, but take a look at what I've come up with so far:

2 comments:

ojaiquilter said...

Kelley, that is really good. Is the candle looking for a place to be on Halloween? What a good combination you two make. I can't wait to see the results of this one!!

busylizzy said...

Awww, how cute. Love the little candle. Send out a message when you get it done!